I think the once a month is a good idea to give them a taste of it. Maybe allow them to participate with different houses so they get to know more people to start off? Or should we keep them in the same house to build relationships? We'd have to coordinate with the middle school teachers.
From my perspective this would be a great idea to promote internal recruitment of 8th graders. Once a month sounds good to me & I would favor the same house so relationships could be established
Middle school kids scare me. How about once every two months with them? Bill's right: the adopted eighth graders should stay with their h.s. buddies throughout the year.
I like once a month if it is a valuable experience in recruiting the 8th students. It needs to be a well-thought out and planned event. Where it might seem like just one more event in the many HS events, it must be remembered that each event done with the HS goes toward a decision of 'do I stay or do I go' ---- EACH time they get together with the HS. We cannot undo negative feelings of "my HS buddy just left me". At the same time, positive feelings of "that was really cool, I like the houses, I felt important...." can make a difference in getting our 8th to stay at Seacrest. Yes, Nick, coordination with the MS teachers is a must; you want us to be in the know before the event takes place - kids pick up whether we are in the loop or not.
we could start with the intramural activities (maybe once a month if there are two per month) and go from there.
ReplyDeleteI think the once a month is a good idea to give them a taste of it. Maybe allow them to participate with different houses so they get to know more people to start off? Or should we keep them in the same house to build relationships? We'd have to coordinate with the middle school teachers.
ReplyDeleteFrom my perspective this would be a great idea to promote internal recruitment of 8th graders. Once a month sounds good to me & I would favor the same house so relationships could be established
ReplyDeleteMiddle school kids scare me. How about once every two months with them? Bill's right: the adopted eighth graders should stay with their h.s. buddies throughout the year.
ReplyDeleteI like once a month if it is a valuable experience in recruiting the 8th students. It needs to be a well-thought out and planned event. Where it might seem like just one more event in the many HS events, it must be remembered that each event done with the HS goes toward a decision of 'do I stay or do I go' ---- EACH time they get together with the HS. We cannot undo negative feelings of "my HS buddy just left me". At the same time, positive feelings of "that was really cool, I like the houses, I felt important...." can make a difference in getting our 8th to stay at Seacrest.
ReplyDeleteYes, Nick, coordination with the MS teachers is a must; you want us to be in the know before the event takes place - kids pick up whether we are in the loop or not.