How should we construct the leadership roles? We have 1)Head of House- should we have two members sharing that role? I think that would be enough...John suggested we could have a historian but I think we could fill that role with the yearbook class.
There could be students with different roles, such as volunteer opportunity coordinator, sport coordinator, activity coordinator, and then student government representative.
Let me pose that question first though...Do you think houses should be represented at each student government meeting? My vote is yes because it will elevate student government even further create more communication about what's taking place at school.
I like this suggestion, Nick. Kind of like the "student council representative" you find in other schools. It would give more students an opportunity to be involved in student govt. without having to be elected by the whole student population. And it's an important communication device between govt. and the houses when representatives come back to their houses to give a report to their group. This could work well....Barb, would you perhaps want to post a poll on whether we want student house representatives?
I think some communication between the 2 leadership groups would be good; probably also need to figure out who is doing what so all these leaders feel they have a responsibilty to carry out
OK..I obviously there should be a Head of House. Second, I think the student government representative is an excellent idea. I will post a poll. Third, I don't feel too comfortable dividing a house of 20 into too many roles but I do see the need for at least two roles for leading activities. Activities include sports,and student led events. Thoughts?
head of House should be the rep. to student gov., also is the liason with administration, and the outside world; it seems like there is a role for a activities leader, that person that plans activities and co-ordinates with other houses; I also like the idea of a house historian, a philosophical leader of the house. Length of term? Certainly a quarter; they could be re appointed by the house members for another quarter or replaced by consensus; term limits? I like teh Quaker process of selecting these leaders. They are nominated, then discussed in open meeting and agreement reached as to who would do the best job. No voting. That's our person!
One idea floated in the June meeting was to rotate responsibilities with each house monthly. I think there is merit to this, because it will give every kid an opportunity to be a leader each year. Could even the student council rep job change each month?
We should define the activities of the leaders first and decide if we need to "elect" them for the year or not.
ReplyDeleteYes, Paula. I think the roles have to be clearly defined and then "leaders" selected so individual talents can be matched with responsibilities.
ReplyDeleteHow should we construct the leadership roles?
ReplyDeleteWe have 1)Head of House- should we have two members sharing that role?
I think that would be enough...John suggested we could have a historian but I think we could fill that role with the yearbook class.
There could be students with different roles, such as volunteer opportunity coordinator, sport coordinator, activity coordinator, and then student government representative.
ReplyDeleteLet me pose that question first though...Do you think houses should be represented at each student government meeting? My vote is yes because it will elevate student government even further create more communication about what's taking place at school.
I like this suggestion, Nick. Kind of like the "student council representative" you find in other schools. It would give more students an opportunity to be involved in student govt. without having to be elected by the whole student population. And it's an important communication device between govt. and the houses when representatives come back to their houses to give a report to their group. This could work well....Barb, would you perhaps want to post a poll on whether we want student house representatives?
ReplyDeleteI think some communication between the 2 leadership groups would be good; probably also need to figure out who is doing what so all these leaders feel they have a responsibilty to carry out
ReplyDeleteOK..I obviously there should be a Head of House.
ReplyDeleteSecond, I think the student government representative is an excellent idea. I will post a poll. Third, I don't feel too comfortable dividing a house of 20 into too many roles but I do see the need for at least two roles for leading activities. Activities include sports,and student led events. Thoughts?
head of House should be the rep. to student gov., also is the liason with administration, and the outside world; it seems like there is a role for a activities leader, that person that plans activities and co-ordinates with other houses; I also like the idea of a house historian, a philosophical leader of the house. Length of term? Certainly a quarter; they could be re appointed by the house members for another quarter or replaced by consensus; term limits? I like teh Quaker process of selecting these leaders. They are nominated, then discussed in open meeting and agreement reached as to who would do the best job. No voting. That's our person!
ReplyDeleteOne idea floated in the June meeting was to rotate responsibilities with each house monthly. I think there is merit to this, because it will give every kid an opportunity to be a leader each year. Could even the student council rep job change each month?
ReplyDelete