Wednesday, June 24, 2009

First Day- First Week

OK, we need to decide exactly what the first day and first week of school will be like for our Houses.
Topics such as:
  • sorting process- member to assigned house- assembly or just a posted list?
  • activities- for first day- do we all still agree "dog house"
  • activities for the first week- suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. I think we need to think carefully what are initial activity is based on what are initial goals are. I like some of the activities from Quest HS and I think focusing on the integration within each group would be a better starting point than inter-group competitions. We also need an activity in which involvement from each house member is guaranteed; an activity in which we begin to know each other & build trust within the house. I am not sure building a dog house will do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea on the initial goals....I think we want members to get to know each other, to get to know the House program, and to know that the program will help them at Seacrest. So we need some activity or acivities that will further this. Dog house may not be it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the h.s. faculty should "draft" the kids into their respective houses before they come back. Each house should have a cross-section of grades, genders, and interests. "Siamese twins" should be separated.

    Beginning the year with a community service project is an excellent idea. My colleague, Blue, likes the dog house construction plan; I do, too.

    It might be fun to have a beach party early in the year. The different houses could compete in various contests, such as volleyball, frisbee toss, sandcastles, fishing, boogie boarding (I hereby draft Codie G. in the first round), and swimming. Maybe by then they will have designed their shirts and hats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If we are not doing the dog houses, I need to know now since the company that donated them and the monies I collected for the shipping will need to be notified and returned. I will inform the shelter as well. I always liked the draft idea but maybe random selections and the adjusting would be best. Bill is right about small groups bonding better.

    ReplyDelete